Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What a week so far..

I have managed to realise 2 childhood dreams so far this week, one was to be on the pitch at Lords cricket ground, and the second was to be on the pitch at Anfield, home of Liverpool Football Club. For Lords I was tasked to shoot an England one day international cricket match against Australia.

Cricket is not the easiest sport to shoot owing to the fact you are a long way from the centre of play, even using a 400mm lens with a 2x converter you still have to crop into the image, also using a 2x converter means your images are generally not as sharp as using a prime lens.

Lords is a funny place, so many old traditions, you cant get into certain areas unless you have a suite and tie, is one of the strangest. photographers positions are not in the best places. for the England innings I was stuck in a gap with a constant stream of people walking past getting in the way!! Like most events I cover I have to try and find a position away from the major agencies like Getty Images, Associated Press, Press Association, Agence Francaise Presse, because for sale purposes why would an newspaper pay for my image if it was the same as they get anyway!


It took me a while to work out the best setup for me to use, and I settled on using my Canon 5d with 400mm f2.8 lens and a 2x converter for the close up shots, and a Canon 1d Mk3 with a 70-200mm F2.8 and a 1.4x converter for general shots. I also had a Canon 20d with a 24-105mm F4 for wider shots and general views. As much as I am a huge fan of cricket I am not really patient enough to shoot it, I normally have the attention span of a 3 year old so I did find shooting the game hard at first, but the sight of Brett Lee the australian pace bowler ripping through Englands batting attack kept me going.


I was fairly happy with the shoot and lucky for me so were the agency I was working for that day as they asked me to shoot to more England matches later in the week. I will write about them later.

Cricket: One Day International 50 over England Vs Australia - Images by Sportsphotographers.eu .

No comments: